Monday, July 25, 2005

Arminian Prayer

You have heard a great many Arminian sermons, I
dare say, but you never heard an Arminian prayer-for the saints in prayer
appear as one in word, and deed and mind. An Arminian on his knees
would pray desperately like a Calvinist. He cannot pray about free will:
there is no room for it. Fancy him praying, “Lord, I thank thee I am not
like those poor presumptuous Calvinists. Lord, I was born with a glorious
free-will; I was born with power by which I can turn to thee of myself; I
have improved my grace. If everybody had done the same with their grace
that I have, they might all have been saved. Lord, I know thou dost not
make us willing if we are not willing ourselves. Thou givest grace to
everybody; some do not improve it, but I do. There are many that will go
to hell as much bought with the blood of Christ as I was; they had as
much of the Holy Ghost given to them; they had as good a change, and
were as much blessed as I am. It was not thy grace that made us to differ;
I know it did a great deal, still I turned the point; I made use of what was
given me, and others did not-that is the difference between me and them.”
C.H. Spurgeon
THE METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE PULPIT VOL. 1
FREE-WILL — A SLAVE NO. 52
A SERMON DELIVERED ON SABBATH MORNING,
DECEMBER 2, 1855, BY THE REV. C. H. SPURGEON,
AT NEW PARK STREET CHAPEL, SOUTHWARK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home